Hi friends summer is" ON "and summer vacations have also started so every mother knows that the only refuge for her left is to keep the children busy in some nondestructive positive activity ,playing with play dough is one of them :) but the play doughs available in market are not only quite expensive here in Pakistan but the thing that bothers me most is that we don't know what its made from and what type of toxic colors are used in it and we happily spend our own hard earned money on buying this poison for our kids and let them play with it ,for the very reason i decided to experiment and make my own home made play dough with 100% non toxic ingredients and yesterday i finally succeeded in making an excellent play dough with the ingredients that are all ready present in every kitchen .
R U ready for my very own cheep play dough recipe :)
- 1cup fine all purpose flour (with out self raising agent)
- half cup fine rock salt
- 1table spoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup synthetic white vinegar
- Thoroughly mix all the dry ingredients with your hands by rubbing them in your palms thus breaking any lumps (if present).
- In a cooking pan add the oil and vinegar to the dry mixture and mix well with a whisk.
- On low heat cook for 1 or 2 minutes and continuously stir until the dough is no more sticky to the sides of the pan and starts gathering in the center of the pan this is the sign that its ready, remove from heat and take it out of the pan.
- Let it cool down a bit when easy to handle(but still warm) kneed it on a clean hard surface .
- Add food colors of your choice.
- If the stinky smell of vinegar is bothering you just add 2 drops of vanilla essence! but i will recommend you not to add the essence as the bad smell of vinegar will reduce the urge in your children to eat and taste the dough :)
- Place in a air tight jar and if ever you feel that its getting dry with time or while playing under a ceiling fan then simply add a few drops of water to it and slightly kneed it and store back in the airtight container ,it will be good as new.
some miniature dough fruits my daughter present me as a gift for my effort :)